Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Corn tortillas 2
Saffron a pinch
Oil 2 teaspoons + to deep fry
Onions, chopped 2 medium
Green chillies, chopped 4
Vegetable stock 4 cups
Salt to taste
Tomato, chopped 1 medium
Walnut kernels, halved 8
Fresh cream ½ cup
Lemon, quartered 1
1 Cut tortillas in five by one centimeter strips. Dissolve saffron in warm water.
2. Heat sufficient oil in a deep pan and fry tortilla strips in hot oil until brown and crisp. Drain and place on an absorbent paper and set aside.
3. Heat two teaspoons of oil in a large saucepan, add onions and green chillies and sauté till onions become soft.
4. Add vegetable stock and salt. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes.
5. Add tomato and simmer for another five minutes, then stir in lemon juice, walnut pieces and saffron. Remove from heat.
6. Add fried tortilla strips and cream. Garnish with lemon pieces and serve hot.
Chef’s Tip: To make vegetable stock boil roughly chopped vegetables like carrots, French beans, onion, leeks, celery, garlic in plenty of water. Once it comes to a boil simmer for ten minutes. Strain.